An explanation of JK2's blocking system in 1.02

Guides and how to's on anything related to JK2, whether it's about modding or in-game topics.
Post Reply
User avatar
Boothand
Administrator
Posts: 963
Joined: 24 Feb 2015, 08:21
Contact:

An explanation of JK2's blocking system in 1.02

Post by Boothand » 15 Aug 2015, 13:58

I should have a video about this later, but for now, a written guide.


Luke Skywalker: Blocking red swings in JK2 is random and inconsistent. Sometimes I block, sometimes it just hits through... why? :(

Mantracker: Partially true. Did you know there is a 'box' around your saber? A big clunky box, unprecise and doesn't really follow the saber perfectly when you look up and down.

Luke Skywalker: I had no idea. Can you show me what you mean?

Mantracker: In fact, yes. This is a representation of the box, revealed by the game's code.
debugsaber1.jpg
debugsaber1.jpg (82.13 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
Luke Skywalker: What? I'm in a game? And why is it so small? It doesn't cover my saber.

Mantracker: Yes, you are. And it's because you are in an old game. Or the developers took shortcuts. I don't really know. Now, look up, then down in red style.
debugsaber2.jpg
debugsaber2.jpg (84.97 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
debugsaber3.jpg
debugsaber3.jpg (84.88 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
Luke Skywalker: That. Is weird. Well, so this box follows where I look essentially. What's the deal with this box anyway?

Mantracker: This is how it works: If the person swinging at you is hitting this box, you will definitely block. 100% guaranteed. You can recognize this block if your saber gets staggered, and your opponent is unable to do combo attacks.

Luke Skywalker: So if I aim this "box" correctly at his "saber box" I will be safe? What if I miss?

Mantracker: Yes. If you miss, and he hits the front of your body but outside this box, there will be a dice roll.

Luke Skywalker: Ah, sweet randomness. How much are we talking about?

Mantracker: A 20% chance to fail. 80% chance to block. Arguably you could say that you were unlucky if you got hit at first strike.

Luke Skywalker: Wait, so what did you mean about the combo attacks? If he hits outside my blocking box, then what?

Mantracker: Then, provided that he holds attack still, he can continue comboing and perform new red swings until he gets the lucky number (1 or 2) - or until you do the perfect block, with your blocking box.

Luke Skywalker: Are you sure of this?

Mantracker: Yes, absolutely.

Luke Skywalker: Well, at least now I can call people out on their luck with more confidence.

Mantracker: I'm on a horse.


Saberbox be tested with this file:
debugsaber.zip
(227.03 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

User avatar
ouned
Administrator
Posts: 588
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 13:03
Location: Gliese581c

Re: An explanation of JK2's blocking system in 1.02

Post by ouned » 15 Aug 2015, 14:55

very nice.
maybe the box has this size because jk2 was developed in a time 56k modems were still a thing and pings over 200 not uncommon.

User avatar
jozuf
Posts: 57
Joined: 14 Aug 2015, 10:24

Re: An explanation of JK2's blocking system in 1.02

Post by jozuf » 15 Aug 2015, 15:42

Noice read. Thx! :)

So basically, aiming is a very important part in blocking and countering attacks! Just as I thought ;).
But, does the saberbox change when you are doing special attacks like dbs?

I got another unrelated question, but maybe you can answer it anyways: Can you extend the spike time in the end of a special move (dbs) by walking backwards or crouch (It feels like it)?

User avatar
Boothand
Administrator
Posts: 963
Joined: 24 Feb 2015, 08:21
Contact:

Re: An explanation of JK2's blocking system in 1.02

Post by Boothand » 15 Aug 2015, 17:56

ouned wrote:very nice.
maybe the box has this size because jk2 was developed in a time 56k modems were still a thing and pings over 200 not uncommon.
Yes, probably..!
jozuf wrote:But, does the saberbox change when you are doing special attacks like dbs?

I got another unrelated question, but maybe you can answer it anyways: Can you extend the spike time in the end of a special move (dbs) by walking backwards or crouch (It feels like it)?
The saber box doesn't change its shape at any time, only the position is changed, and it's mostly depending on your view height and your saber style.



And for your second question, I can't imagine anything like that would be possible. It shouldn't respond in any way to your crouch/movement buttons at that time.

User avatar
Daggolin
Administrator
Posts: 789
Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 13:05

Re: An explanation of JK2's blocking system in 1.02

Post by Daggolin » 15 Aug 2015, 19:24

jozuf wrote:But, does the saberbox change when you are doing special attacks like dbs?

I got another unrelated question, but maybe you can answer it anyways: Can you extend the spike time in the end of a special move (dbs) by walking backwards or crouch (It feels like it)?
If you want I can enable those boxes on the dark-server sometime, but they are updating a lot less frequent than in Boothand's video, because some clients experience a ping increase of a couple hundred when we enable the box with a high frequency for even one player (some players get from 48 to 800 ping). We could do it in a seperate dimension with high frequency or we start an extra server. We should also still have the source of the debug-mod that Boothand and I used to test these things.

User avatar
Boothand
Administrator
Posts: 963
Joined: 24 Feb 2015, 08:21
Contact:

Re: An explanation of JK2's blocking system in 1.02

Post by Boothand » 21 Aug 2015, 09:21

Daggolin wrote:If you want I can enable those boxes on the dark-server sometime, but they are updating a lot less frequent than in Boothand's video, because some clients experience a ping increase of a couple hundred when we enable the box with a high frequency for even one player (some players get from 48 to 800 ping). We could do it in a seperate dimension with high frequency or we start an extra server. We should also still have the source of the debug-mod that Boothand and I used to test these things.
In fact, this debug-box seems to have a bug that makes it at random times duplicate itself several times, increasing your ping beyond acceptability.

@jozuf The update rate has to be so low that you can't truly see how it follows animations - but you can look more closely at this on your own, without networking. Then you should be able to set the update setting (g_debugSaberBoxDelay) to 10 or 15, and increase sv_fps to 200. Smooth as the surface of a banana.

Post Reply
Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor (modified by jk2.info)
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
GZIP: On
 

 

cron